Monday, 21 July 2025

Thank You SY, Jessie And Beverly

 





Two days ago (19 July 2025), I attended the ‘Liver Transplant Support Group’ gathering for the first time. One year and 8 days have passed since I had my liver transplant. From pre-transplant (8 May to 10 July 2024) to post-transplant (from 11 July 2024 to now.) Before the end of April 2025, I was mostly in pain, immobile, and sometimes lost, and confused. I was in a state of delirium. But I could sense and selectively remember some of the people who were there, guiding me through that darkest period of my life. They include surgeons, specialist doctors/consultants, medical doctors/coordinating medical staff, and nurses. The latter 2 groups (medical doctors/coordinating medical staff, and nurses) have a special place in my heart. They will remain in my memory and my dreams for a long time. They are like my guardian angels. They are the ones who give me encouraging smile, whisper encouragement into my ears, and give me the thumbs-up sign. I can just rattle off their names - Dr Samantha Koh, Gaya, Yue Ling, SY (Seok Yin), Beverly, Jessie, Ann Chow, Mei Ling, Dr Brian Goh, Prof Tan Han Kim, Dr Kek, Dr Thinesh, Dr Chanda Ho, Dr Rahul (CGH) and many more. There were some whose names I do not know or cannot recall. In the next couple of months, as I continue to look through my notebooks (kept beside me during my long hospitalizations), my personal records, as well as when more of my memories return, I shall record them in my Journal.



At the liver transplant support group meeting, I was overwhelmed with a wave of emotions when I met 3 of my guardian angels - SY, Jessie, and Beverly. I vividly remember SY’s signature ‘thumbs-up’ sign for me, and the kind and encouraging smile from Beverly and Jessie. The reason I got emotional is because I thought I would not be able to get the opportunity to say thank you to them. They were there together with the liver team during my appointments, and responded to me when I called the SGH Liver Coordinator hotline for advice related to my liver transplant. Although they were masked up all the time, I could remember them through their eyes, accessories, and gestures, and I know when they smile even with their mask on.


The above photo shows SY (Seok Yin) standing on the extreme left. She gave a very good talk to all of us (liver transplant patients and those who are waiting to do so), as well as some timely reminders on the dos and don'ts. The next lady in uniform is Jessie. Beverly (also in uniform) is right at the far end of the room on the right side of the photo.

Here is a photo taken with Jessie (on my right) and Beverly (on my left). Their fingers show a symbolic 11, which was the date of my transplant. I wish I could also take a photo with SY (with her unique 2-color crocs).

A letter of gratitude and thankfulness, and 3 lovely roses dedicated to SY, Jessie, and Beverly:




Dearest SY, Jessie and Beverly,

My words cannot express how grateful I am to all of you. Seeing all of you make me want to tears. It was a happy day. Your kindness have shone through and leaving an imprint in my heart.

To SY - Today is the first time I saw you giving a very good long talk. You were normally quiet. I remember you for your signature ‘thumbs-up’ sign to me, as well as your kindly smile. Your ‘thumbs-up’ is like a beacon in a dark night, giving me the courage to keep going even when I doubted myself. It was a simple and yet powerful ‘thumbs-up.’ Thank you, SY.

To Jessie - Your kind smile always radiates a calming effect. The last time I communicated with you was just about  3~4 weeks ago, through the SGH Liver Coordinator hotline. Even a simple communication with you brought a sense of calm to me. Thank you, Jessie, for your gentle support.

To Beverly - Your infectious smile is like a joyful ray, dispelling fears and brightens my day. Your smile gives me the feeling that there are goodness and hope in this world, and radiates a kind of peace. It is a memory that I would cherish. Thank you, Beverly.

I am very happy to be able to record my ‘Thank You’ and express my gratitude to all of you now before I can't.


With Appreciation, 

Mr Ding Ting Hock

21-7-25

No comments:

Post a Comment